I’m not the smartest person in the room, I’m just the leader. – Andy Stanley
Thanks for listening to Always Forward! In this podcast, I share some of the ways our team at Southwest Michigan First’s achieves the greatest impact.
The first thing to understand, to make sense of everything else, is that everyone on our team serves as the ceo of their own responsibilities. Then, there are several tactics we use that are centered on this sense of ownership and responsibility:
- Scrum. Every morning at 8:05 am we hold scrum. Like in rugby, we huddle together as a team to fight for our wins. Our weekly schedule looks like this:
- Monday | Lightning Round
- Tuesday | Wellness or Organizational Update
- Wednesday | Stories of Impact or Scoreboard Update
- Thursday | Marketing Ideas and Customer Service Stories
- Friday | Catalations and Leader Lesson
- Legacy Leader. Voted by the team monthly for going above and beyond. The Legacy Leader leads scrum for the month, presents internal annual goals at our Board of Directors meetings and leads book club.
- Team Retreat. Our goal is first to laugh. We share new experiences, take time to play and celebrate family.
- 4x40s. Review process where each team member reports on their 4 strategic goals every 40 days, answering these questions:
- What are your personal and professional goals?
- What do you need to succeed?
- What should we quit doing?
- Playbook. Takes away the little nuances of running the organization in advance, so we can focus on the big projects at hand.
Question: What strategies do you use to lead teams?